Big Band performance from John Akal's Ultraphonic Jazz Orchestra at the Lone Tree Arts Festival, June 24, 2016- West Side Story medley from the Buddy Rich band library. John's lovely (and high) trombone solo starts at 4:25, but the whole performance is worth a listen!
OUR MUSIC IS CURRENTLY FEATURED ON:.
Available from Capri Records
‘In The Pocket’: “A top ten of the year disc, no ifs or maybes. In that better alternate universe where jazz dominates the music charts, In the Pocket would be all over the radio.”
-- D. McClenaghan, AllAboutJazz.com
Available Now: 'You & I’
Want some Hines DeVine Jazz at your next event? Click here to contact us.
This is the signature body of work by John & Donna. Combining the work of their sextet (trombone, trumpet, keyboards, bass, drums, and vocals) with the talent of fabulous guest artists, this collection of ten original and familiar cover songs spans the range of their work.
- John Hines (trombone)
- Donna DeVine (vocals)
- Tom Gershwin (trumpet)
- Jason Malmberg (acoustic and electric bass)
- David Rohlf (drums)
- Tom Capek (piano, electric keyboard, organ, synthesizer)
- Christian Teele (percussion)
Special Guest Artists:
- Michael Pagan (piano)
- Brad Goode (trumpet)
- Cabo Morning (composer & arranger: John Hines) Inspired by its namesake, a joyous latin song with beautiful trombone melody and exciting percussion rhythm—this one just feels good. *Nominated for AllAboutJazz.com's 'song of the week' - April, 2015
- Serenade To A Cuckoo (composer: Roland Kirk, arranger: John Hines; featuring Michael Pagan) Straight-ahead swing interplay between trumpet, trombone, and rhythm.
- *My Funny Valentine (composer: Rogers/Hart, arranger: David Wolpe) Simple arrangement to showcase Donna’s amazing vocal talents to make this standard sound new.
- Decoupage (composer: Hank Levy, arranger: John Hines; featuring Michael Pagan) Newly arranged 8-part trombone harmony, all played by John Hines, w/complex 5/4 latin percussion to reinvent this exciting big band song for anyone who loves the sound of jazz trombone.
- *Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (composer: Joe Zawinul, arranger: Jerry Hey) The band transforms into a classic gospel horn section behind Donna’s soulful vocals on this rendition of the Zawinul classic.
- Better Get Hit In Your Soul (composer: Charles Mingus; featuring Michael Pagan, Brad Goode) Fast-tempo jazz waltz with amazing work by Brad, Mike and John , as well as gospel percussion from Christian Teal, making this the highest energy song of the album.
- *Someone To Watch Over Me (composer: George Gershwin, arranger: Michael Pagan; featuring Michael Pagan, Brad Goode) Gorgeous torch singing from Donna and a masterful interplay between Brad and Michael bring new energy to this well-loved jazz standard.
- *You & I (composer: Stefani Germanotta, arranger: John Hines) A very unique take on the Lady Gaga hit, becoming a vocal/trombone duet with a contemporary jazz rhythm section foundation.
- Jus' Sayin' (composer and arranger: John Hines) Evoking a rainy afternoon on a back porch, this is a uniquely original blues duet between only trombone and bass. Selected as a semifinalist in the International Songwriting Competition 2015!
- *Somewhere Over The Rainbow (composer: Harold Arlen/E.Y. Harburg, arranger: Nicole Henry; featuring Michael Pagan) Complex latin percussion backs up powerful vocals from Donna in this fresh, high-energy take on the Wizard of Oz film classic.
* Denotes songs featuring Donna DeVine on vocals Available now.
The beautiful Donna DeVine croons on the deck of the Azamara Quest with an international collection of musicians, including John Hines on trombone, as the ship approached Dubrovnik, Croatia on June 13, 2012.
60-second song samples from 'You & I':
To Purchase ’In The Pocket':
Available Now: 'In The Pocket'
CD Release: 'You & I' available now-just $14.99 + s/h!- Either buy directly from us via PayPal.
OR, if you want to buy individual tracks or the MP3 version, check it out on CDBaby.com: